Thursday, April 21, 2011

Thanks, but I'll pass....

Confession: I am not a camper.

I don't know why, but i just can not camp, aka "rough it". I can't! Its just not fun for me. Packing everything to bring only to have to unpack and set up once there only to have to tear down and repack only to have to unpack and put away once home. It seems like a lot of work for very little return. And then there is "nature". Yeah, nope. I don't need to be surrounded by trees and leaves and wildlife, to be cold when it rains and be sticky and uncomfortable when its hot. Its not fun for me to live in fear of having a snake encounter the entire trip.(i am mildly fear obsessed with those devil creatures) I am not really a hoodie and jeans kind of gal. I love to dress up and do my hair and makeup and camping, doesnt really lend much to that, it thrives for the casual, the laidback, the nature-lovers, the hikers, the lets-nibble-on-bark-while-hiking-up-the-mountain-and-then-pee-in-the-bushes kind of people. I am pretty much the opposite. I could care less about nature, loathe hiking, and am more of a go-er than a laidback-er (not a word...lol). I like to be near things and do things. I wanna be able to go to the beach in the morning and then walk along a boardwalk at night. I love the nightlife and the beach and the relaxation they provide. To me a nice pool, sun, tanning, and a good book are my nirvana, add a nice bed and hot shower into the mix and that is perfection. In campings defense, I will try to not 100% rush judge. A ton of people LOVE doing it, so it can't be all bad, right? So in the spirit of adventure, I would be willing to give it another try. I will say it was 100xs better when we stayed in a house, than a camper (snakes can't get in campers right?) and I love the cost effectiveness of camping, but I just find myself turning into Negative Nancy when it comes to thinking about camping. Anyone with me on this?!?! Have I just not had the "right" camping experience? Or am I pretty much dead on (well i know I am, but it would be nice to have other confirm it :) ) I don't get all the hoopla of campers and why people love it so much... there.is.nothing.to.do. Sure its probably a blast when its sunny (maybe) but what about when its cold? or rainy? or like 104 out?? What does one do then?? I don't know... Feel free to share your Yays or Nays on this, cause MAYBE i could be swayed (with the right argument)....

6 comments:

Lauren said...

Nay! and double Nay from me. I love camping, but we grew up doing it. I'm going to have to agree that you are more of a girly girl. So like Emily, you probably pack 3 suitcases, blow dryer, straightner, curling iron...... when all you really need is jeans, tshirts and a sweatshirt. But then I like jeans and hoodie and not showering for a couple days. =-) And real camping does not include a camper or a house. It is also not the super 8 down the road. Real camping is done in a tent and it has to rain at least once. Plus you need a plentiful supply of marshmallows and beer. Take me with you and you will have fun =-)

Kimi said...

LOL good point on the marshmellows and beer, atleast one was missing from both prior experiences as were you, so I am sure that adding those 3 will make a difference :) But i most definitely need 3 suitcases (never know which hoodie will look best on a certain day) and my blow dryer, straightener and curling iron are like family...we go everywhere together!!

Lor said...

Haha but when you camp and eat/drink enough of the previously mentioned items no one gives a crap what you look like =-) If you are in need of a topic one day I will provide you with 2 ideas, free of charge. 1. Talk about the middle aged woman who thinks zumba is "Dancing with the Stars"/Dallas cowboys cheerleader" try outs. 2. How your wedding isn't really your wedding, its what everyone else thinks you should do and how saying screw you isn't the best way to develop relationships with people.

Kimi said...

LOL both topics are great!!! kinda makes me wish i hadnt already written todays!! :P Although i thought you would say "Zumba isnt an excuse to use all your old booty popping club moves" (not that i do that at all). and MMMhmm to the wedding one. You could always be a "guest blogger" and write it for me (its very theraputic!!)

Leigh said...

Ok, now have you seen me with spiders? I really don't know how I camp to tell you the truth. It is so funny how we all perceive things differently. I love going to the eclectic shops, reading by the pond or lake, doing crossword puzzles, the euchre tourneys and other games we all play. To me, I feel like there is always something to do. I do have to admit, I am a BIG fan of the electic hookups at least. This makes me sad, cause I am not sure we will go back to Raquette, at least not for the extended stays. I love the people who go there and cherish my time with them however, so there is still hope! (Especially when we get a new camper!) Yep, I have been spoiled by the hookups! Most of all, I love the time..... time with some of the people I love the most! No distractions.... just talk, play and being together when we want to be. Now, I am completely positive they don't want to be with me as often as I want to be with them, lol, that is why I say "when we want to be". And, I do enjoy my time with Al when it is just he and I, believe it or not and I don't get enough of that either... so "winning" ....

Now, second matter brought up by Lor. Oh dear, now this middle aged woman is scared to death to go to zumba! Don't wanna be looked at like that for sure. Maybe DVD's are in my future. :)

Sorry this is soooooo long. Maybe you should show me how to have a blog of my own...

Emily said...

ummmm...i truly have to agree! camping is kinda gross. and when i think about it with a kid...oh man i might throw up in my own hands! also...you know me too well Lor...3 suitcases is a must(although i've gotten better since livi came along...some days i dont even shower)!