Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The case for numero dos...

**Disclaimer: We are NOT pregnant and we are NOT trying to be. We be havin' conversations! Got it?
ok, with that out of the way (and with the rumors now flying...geez), let's move on...

I find it funny that people always want to be in on your "next step" in life. You're single and its "when are you going to date". So you date and then it is "so when are you getting engaged?" then "When are you getting married?" then " When are you going to have a baby" and then "When are you going to have baby number 2?" And thats where Alfie and I fall. Into the "When are you going to pop out number 2?" Which when asked, part of me wants to respond with "Mind your own dang business" buuuut since I too have asked the dreaded question to others (a LOT less since having been asked it myself) I usually offer up the "We aren't sure". Although if you ask Alfie, he will give you a specific month (but then again he didn't puke for 21wks so he is far more onboard). Which in my mind begs the question, "When to try for a second?" I can hear you all out there "OMG kimi and Alfie are talking about a second" FALSE...let me remind you, I.AM.A.PLANNER. which means I like to have some sort of timeline for major events and although its doubtful that it will occur as planned, i find comfort in the ability to attempt to plan it. I We, know I want Colty to have a sibling (alfie would be ok, with not having another. But I love having siblings and I wouldnt want Colty to miss out on that sort of relationship). So for all of you parents with 2+ kiddos weigh in please! *No worries Wilson, im not about to take a job and then get knocked up, been there, done that, moving on* Sooo lets hear the pros and cons. For all you wham bam under 18 months apart aka "crazy people" would you do it again?? Or how about those with 3+years between the kiddos? Do you like the spread? Is just the addition of child number 2 crazy enough that timing means nothing? Those with one child, is that the route to go? Only have one and stock up on fun things like boats, convertables, and lake houses?!?! What about those of you who both work? How do you do it?!?! There is something to be said about baby #1 being old enough to say "Mom i'm borrowing the car, be back later" before having baby #2 (jokes jokes, thats farrrr too farrrr apart, i'll settle for him saying "hippopotamus" lol) Annnnd there is the case for bang bang and done, and knowing that i can have my body back FOREVER. So come on...chime in. Give me your best "if i had to do it again" insight. Let me have it!! :)

7 comments:

Ashley said...

I love having the kids close in age (19 months) but I will admit that it is CRAZY. I was so smug and thought I knew everything before I had kids, and even before I had 2. Ohh boy was I wrong about pretty much everything. I love, love that the kids are starting to play together and become buddies. It's so sweet. I say do it!!! :)

Kimi said...

Haha oh boy! I love the relationship when siblings are close like yours, but im pretty sure i would have a melt down if I had another baby these days!!

Ajohnson said...

I ahve these same thoughts ALL the time- especially with the working and having more than one-cause currently I am barely making it ( but I think Jasons schedule makes that harder since I dont even have him on the wknds usually). Also....can we have a conversation on "having your body back" cause I'm pretty sure my hips will never return back to their size 6 location!!

Ajohnson said...

Oh AND- RAMEN POST RAMEN POST!!!! =)

Kimberly said...

I am so torn on this - because I can see the benefits of both. My brother & I were very close in age (less than 2 years) and we were best friends all growing up. I always had a playmate & later, someone to protect me from jerk guys in high school. BUT, that being said, Lauren & Nolan are 4 years apart. And I can't say that I would change that if I could go back & do it again (even though it was due to medical circumstances & not by choice). We had such a long time to enjoy & build memories with Lauren before our attention was divided. She was mostly independent (potty trained, etc) & self-sufficient when Nolan came long, which made her a great helper and it was much less stressful for me during that "newborn-not-yet-sleeping-through-the-night" phase. I will say that having a 2nd was the best gift we could have given to Lauren. She instantly learned that the world didn't revolve around her and it helped her care for someone other than herself. My best advice is to pray about it and let God lead you to the right decision. His ways are always better than ours anyway! :)

Cassie Wilson said...

I would do it again in a heart beat!! <3

Kimi said...

Alyssa: I know right! Its tricky enough with one and working, i have no idea how people with 2 do it while working...craziness! And the body will go back, although very true, with some modifications! lol
Kimberly: i can see both arguments, which makes this tricky. And you are very right, God's timing is far better than my own...
Cassie: I know you would, but would Dave??? hahaha :P