Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Baby-versary: It's a boys life

Everytime i read that i think "This is a mannnnns world" like that song by whomever jazzy sings it. But anyways. I grew up as the middle child of 3. All of which are girls so way to get thrown a curve ball when I end up having a little boy. WHAT DO I KNOW ABOUT LITTLE BOYS?!? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. I don't know about what they like to play with, i don't know what they like to do for fun or what is "cool" to them. I don't even know much about their uhh anatomy issues. So you can imagine my panic when I found out i was going to have a boy and not a girl (although luckily i don't have to deal with the hoochie-clothing issue...have fun with that one Christy...muahahaha). But it is so neat to watch the differences is a little boy and a little girl. Maddie and Colton are 3 weeks apart and spend 5 out of 7 days together. So to see Maddicus have a natural LOVE for books and Colton wanting to rip pages out of those books is crazyyyy! Maddie likes to sit and play with the barnyard animals, colton wants to throw them. Colty LOVES trucks and cars and Maddie can't be bothered. I am mentally preparing myself for the bumps and bruises that will come from a boy who likes to get into things and the random animals he may bring me (although we will teach that snakes are naughty, very very naughty to bring ANYWHERE near the house or near mommy). And being the BIG reader that i am, I will always continue to encourage book reading and discourage tv watching (although with Alfie being a huge tv fan, that may be problematic). I am not sure what potty training will be like, although you can BET i will insist on hand washing (far too many guys don't and thats gross to me). On a different note, I secretly hope Colty is a chatterbox. I will probably not enjoy it at some point, but there is nothing cuter than a little kid with a lot to say, and not afraid to say it, especially to mommy (plus that is such a sweet little relationship). Susan was VERY much a chatterbox growing up (she still is... she gets that from mom...it takes them a LONG time to tell a story).

Sidenote: Colty and I were dancing in the family room the other day to our usual Venga Boys song that I hum and then we slowed it down and i told him we could practice our mother/son dance. At that point i had to stop because we KNOW i am a sappy mess and overthinking that dance would have led to tears and i have how many years before i need to tackle that?! quite a lot!

But anways, raising a boy has been such a difference for me and so far from what I personally know having had all sisters. Its been interesting with lots of "OHHH, I see" moments (especially around diaper changes) that I can only imagine how many more similar moments I will have in the future!

No comments: