Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Mmm its called a fantasy...

... League. Yeah i know all you perves, thought i was gonna write about some fantasy... try again.

Confession: I am doing Fantasy Football this year.

First time ever. I can't take the credit for the idea, since I actually snagged it from someone else I know (shout out to Valissa for planting the idea seed). I enjoy football, and I thought what better way to become invested in players and the game, than to actually have a reason to watch more than the Eagles games. Unfortunately I joined my league last minute (2 days before the draft) so I didn't have time to do any much research on players, which I would have done and which would have been fun. So i kind of had to just wing it. Because this was all kind of spur of the moment the draft process was a bit crazy, but never the less managed to be fun (even if putting Colton to bed made me miss 1 or 2 rounds). Now i would like to say that I did all my picking based on good player knowledge, but remember, I didn't do any research, which means I picked as a girl. Which pretty much is code for picking who is cute *gasp* and whose names I recognize *cringe* and who play for the Eagles. I know, I know, its shameful and probably the reason why guys may prefer ladies to steer clear of their beloved game, BUT if a bit of eye candy makes it so your lady doesn't complain about having football on tv all day Sunday and Monday, and she ACTUALLY starts paying attention id say it is more than worth it! And hey, even if you have to point out one or two other guys she may enjoy oogling for 3hrs, just to solidify the ability to watch a game or two, id say DO IT!

Anyways, my M.I.L put together a league consisting of a bunch people and the usual Foot-Ballers (HA totally just gave our football group a name...would have been a cute league name.... yeah i know who says cute in reference to a fantasy league) who get together regularaly to watch the Eagles/Bills/Vikings games. Now i can't take FULL credit, on my fabulous week 2 win (week one was a bye) because Alfie did show me the ropes and how to check if players are injured, and how to move people onto/off of my fantasy bench etc. BUT my top scorer QB was ALL my pick (Tom Brady is dreamy) and I most certainly got a lot of flak for my pick on a understudy back up QB- Tony Romo (again, quite the looker). And with some additional help from Josh on a few other picks, I ended up with a thumbs up from Alfie on my team. Had i planned it better, you can BET i would have had a pow wow with my brother-in-law Ben, an AVID fantasy league player, to help me put together an even BETTER roster. Ahhh next year....

Sidenote: We had quite a humorous 10 minute diversion from the game on Sunday night as the guys helped us girls pick out good looking Quarterbacks to drool over. My front runner was Matt Leinart....sweet sassy what a dreamboat! I don't recall who Meg or Robin decided on (Robin was an avid Favre lover) but it certainly was a fun intermission.

Now don't go thinking I am some lame-o who is ONLY watching for the hottie man bodies. I actually do enjoy the games and actually have been learning terminology, rules AND players, which makes me (and im sure Alfie) quite proud.

So how about you? Any other ladies out there rockin a fantasy team for the love of the game, their hubbys or any other crazy reason??

6 comments:

Cassie Wilson said...

Bills/Eagles game is a few weeks away!! YAY. :-)

Kimi said...

I know it! It should be way fun to watch!

Ben said...

Well done Kimi!! Great pick with Brady. If you want a second opinion let me know!

care o line said...

Back in the day (yup I said it.) Kristin v and I used to look through the rosters for any hotties that we could make a calender out of. We had lots of laughs. This seems slightly more productive. I considered a league this year but couldn't being myself to do it timewise

Megan said...

Love this... even if your team did crush mine this week. ;) I still haven't worked up the nerve to see by how much... or, maybe I just don't remember how to get on the website (don't tell Steve!)

Cracked up at the "understudy" comment.

PS I think my pick ended up being Brady Quinn ;)

Kimi said...

LOL Care-o-line, I didn't know you ladies did that!! too funny!
Ben- ill snag you for the week I play alfie...gotta put up an A-team.
Meg- I don't think i beat ya too bad :P; i put in the "understudy" comment for you!